Vascular Laboratory procedures are a safe, painless method to diagnose problems in arteries and veins.
Most procedures use ultrasound and are performed by vascular sonographers to determine the patency (openness, absence of obstruction) of arteries and veins. Typically, vessels may be studied in the:
Northwestern's Vascular Laboratory offers state-of-the-art facilities that include:
- 9 Philips I-U22 duplex ultrasound machines
- 3 Parks Flow-labs
Vascular Laboratory Services
The length of the exam will depend upon the area to be scanned and specific information needed by your doctors. Services include but are not limited to:
- Evaluation of the veins in the arms or legs to determine the presence of blood clots (deep venous thrombosis or DVT)
- Evaluation of the arteries in the legs or arms to determine the presence and severity of arterial occlusive disease (PAD)
- Evaluation of the arteries in the neck to determine the presence and severity of carotid artery disease
- Evaluation of arteries in the brain to determine blockage or spasm in the vessels (Transcranial Doppler or TCD)
- Evaluation of the abdominal aorta and branches to determine the presence of an abdominal aortic aneurysm or occlusive disease
- Evaluation of the renal arteries to determine if narrowing of the vessels is present
Service Location & Hours
- Galter Pavilion - 8th Floor, Room 8-304
- 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (outpatients) 7 days a week inpatients)
Appointments are necessary for all procedures, and a physician order is required as well.
To schedule a test, please call: 312-926-2746.
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Accreditation
- We have voluntarily gone through a rigorous review process to ensure that we meet nationally accepted standards
- Our staff is well-qualified staff through education and certification to perform and interpret your vascular images
- Our equipment is appropriate for the test or treatment you will receive
- Our facility that meets or exceeds quality assurance guidelines