The Heart and Heart Surgery Program at the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute Ranks 14th in the Nation According to U.S. News & World Report
A ranking that increased from 22nd in the nation in 2009 to 14th in 2010
The Heart and Heart Surgery program at the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute of Northwestern Memorial Hospital increased from 22nd in the nation in 2009 to 14th in the nation in 2010 according to the U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Hospitals” issue.
Editors for the influential ranking reviewed almost 5,000 hospitals in 16 different clinical areas comparing quality metrics that include patient survival, patient safety and hospital reputation. To determine the reputation portion of the score, nearly 10,000 physicians were surveyed in 2008, 2009, and 2010 and asked to name five hospitals they consider among the best in their specialty for difficult cases.
“Five years ago when the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute was created, we set out to build a nationally recognized program that delivered safe and highly specialized cardiovascular care,” said Patrick M. McCarthy, MD, Northwestern Memorial's chief of cardiac surgery, director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute and the Heller-Sacks Professor of Surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “Now, five years later, through pioneering new procedures like transcatheter aortic valve replacement and offering sophisticated and complex treatment options like heart transplantation and minimally invasive procedures to cure atrial fibrillation, we remain ever vigilant of this goal for both our patients and the community we serve.”
In addition to the U.S. News & World Report rankings, the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute has been recognized for outstanding program achievements in the following areas:
- Our outcomes for heart failure and heart attack patients consistently rank better than the U.S. national rate for 30-day hospital mortality.
- Our Center for Heart Valve Disease is among the leaders in transcatheter heart valve intervention, receiving the highest rankings from the industry’s most stringent outcome monitors for valve replacement surgery.
- We are one of only four hospitals in Illinois offering a Joint Commission Certified Medicare Destination Therapy Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Program.
- Our Medicare-approved Heart Transplant program, a Blue Distinction Center of Transplants and an Optum Health Center of Excellence, ranks among the best in the country for one-year patient survival at 96 percent.
- The Division of Vascular Surgery received a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Institutional Training Grant (T32) to fund its “Vascular Surgery Scientist Training Program.
To obtain a referral or schedule an appointment, please call 1-866-662-8467.
To learn more about the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute’s clinical outcomes, please visit our Quality Report Card specific to cardiovascular and thoracic care.
Kris Lathan, Director
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Highlighting the Performance of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute.
Visit our clinical outcomes microsite.