There are many factors that are important to successful treatment of COPD, including:
- Detecting the disease early
- Working with a pulmonary specialist who is knowledgeable in managing COPD
- Seeking treatment to quit smoking
- Taking your prescribed medications exactly as instructed
- Eating a healthy diet
- Exercising (after discussing an exercise program with your doctor)
- Learning about your disease, understanding how to manage it, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Taking measures to prevent infection and illness, such as influenza (the flu) and pneumonia, both which can further damage your lungs
If you have or think you may have COPD, we urge you to seek treatment as soon as possible. If you don’t have a physician, and you’d like to make an appointment with someone who understands COPD and how to successfully manage it, you may do so by calling our Physician Referral Department at 1-877-926-4664. You may also request a first time appointment online.
Tune in to Health
Listen to Malcolm M. DeCamp, MD, chief of thoracic surgery, discuss surgical treatment of lung cancer.