Support & Volunteering
Support for Safety Net Providers
Northwestern Memorial provided support to safety-net hospitals and other health organizations in the community through the donation of much needed medical equipment, computers and furniture. In addition, Northwestern provided consulting services free of charge to local safety net providers to help implement and support a new electronic health record system.
Northwestern Memorial is a designated Leadership Center in the Chicago Department of Public Health's Hospital Emergency Response and Preparedness Program, which plans coordinated emergency response to large-scale disasters across many public service organizations.
Chicago Cares - Northwestern Memorial is a corporate sponsor of Chicago Cares. For the third consecutive year, Northwestern Medicine® displayed its strong commitment to the community by sending the largest team of volunteers to participate in the annual Chicago Cares Serve-a-thon. This year, 758 employees, physicians, friends and family members from Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation and Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital comprised the largest team in the history of the 19-year event.
Adopt-A-School - Northwestern sponsors an annual Adopt-A-School program, during which Northwestern Memorial Hospital employees buy and donate more than 600 holiday gifts for students at the Jenner Academy.
Board Affiliations - Members of Northwestern Memorial's leadership team serve on boards and advisory boards of local community and community health organizations, including:
- Erie Family Health
- Near North Community Health Center
- Lawson House YMCA
- Community Health
- United Way of Metropolitan Chicago
- Greater North Michigan Avenue Association
- Streeterville Chamber of Commerce
- Chicago Central Area Committee
- The Commercial Club of Chicago
- The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
Campaigns - Northwestern Memorial's employees support a wide range of charities including United Way, March of Dimes, Go Red heart health campaign, and walk-a-thon campaigns to support cancer and AIDS research.
Recognizing that people need a credible, timely, accessible and easy-to-understand source for many kinds of health information, Northwestern Memorial offers a wide range of health information to the community:
- The Alberto Culver Health Learning Center, located on the third floor of Galter Pavilion, offers a state-of-the-art information library, where any member of the community can visit and conduct research free of charge, as well as receive individualized help from the staff of professional health educators and medical librarians.
- The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University has additional health information resources available within, where members of the community can obtain information on cancer prevention, detection, diagnosis and treatment.