Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airways, which can cause wheezing, shortness of breath and coughing. An attack can be triggered by exposure to allergens, exercise, stress and even certain medications. Asthma can affect both children and adults. Proper management of this disease can significantly alleviate the symptoms.
American Lung Association
The mission of the American Lung Association is to support research to find the cure for and prevention of asthma and other lung disorders, and to improve the quality of life for those affected by respiratory diseases.
Developed by the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, MedlinePlus provides a portal to both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public. Includes links to current news, tips for asthma management, statistics and relevant organizations.
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: Asthma
Provides links to U.S. government news releases, fact sheets, brochures and other publications about asthma.
- 100 Questions and Answers about Your Child’s Asthma. Plottel C. 2008
- Asthma Sourcebook. Adams FV. 2007.
- Action Plan for Allergies. Briner W. 2007.
- Asthma. Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, 3rd ed. v.1: 424-430. Cramer D. 2006.
- Asthma and Stress. Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior. v.1: 77-81. Wright R. 2004.
- My House is Killing Me!: The Home Guide for Families With Allergies and Asthma. May J. 2001.
- Conversations About Asthma. Lichtenstein L. 1998.
- Essential Guide to Asthma. American Medical Association. 1998.
- American Lung Association Family Guide to Asthma and Allergies. Edelman N. 1997.
- “Diet and asthma: nutrition implications from prevention to treatment.” Allan K. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 111(2):258-68. Feb. 2011
- “Asthma in older adults.” Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 27(5):1-3. May 2009.
- “Asthma care. 4 steps to better control.” Mayo Clinic Women's Healthsource. 13(4):4-5, 2009 Apr.
- “Asthma may increase risk of anxiety and depression.” Harvard Mental Health Letter, 24(10): 7. April 2008.
- “Asthma: triggers and treatments.” Health News, 13(7): 9-10. July 2007.
- Asthma in Children. 30 min.
- Living With Asthma. 30 min.