Brain: Past and Present
Brain Basics: Know Your Brain
This site provides an overview of how the human brain works, provided bythe National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). The NINDS supports neurological research in the United States at both public and private institutions.
Cyber Museum of Neuroscience
Maintained by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and the Congress of Neurological Surgery, this Web site provides online access to articles concerning the history of neurosurgery, including a lengthy description of the 17th-century BC Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus, the oldest known surgical treatise in existence.
History of Neuroscience
Maintained by the Society for Neuroscience, this Web site provides online access to historical papers in the field of neuroscience as well as a compilation of additional neuroscience history resources available on the Internet.
Neuroscience History Archives
The Neuroscience History Archives provides a gateway to online resources about the history of neuroscience, including images, exhibits and journals. The site is maintained by the Brain Research Institute of the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Secret life of the grown-up brain. Strauch B. 2010.
- Embracing the wide sky: a tour across the horizons of the mind.Tammet D. 2009.
- Lives of the mind: human evolution and the organ of mind. Allen J. 2009.
- Scientific American day in the life of your brain. Horstman J. 2009.
- Beyond the zonnules of Zinn: A fantastic journey through your brain. Bainbridge D. 2008.
- Welcome to your brain. Aamodt. 2008.
- Another day in the frontal lobe. Firlik K. 2006.
- Naked brain: how the emerging neurosociety is changing how we live, work, and love. Restak R. 2006.
- Brain and behavior: an introduction to behavioral neuroanatomy. Clark DL. 2005.
- Ethical brain. Gazzaniga MS. 2005.
- Mind wide open: your brain and the neuroscience of everyday life. Johnson S. 2004.
- Soul made flesh: the discovery of the brain and how it changed the world. Zimmer C. 2004
- Synaptic self: how our brains become who we are. LeDoux J. 2002.
- Minds behind the brain: a history of the pioneers and their discoveries. Finger S. 2000.
- “The evolution of neurosurgical instrumentation.” World Neurosurgery. 75(1):20–21. Spetzler RF. January 2011.
- “Introduction: military neurosurgery, past and present.” Neurosurgical Focus. 28(5). Klimo P. May 2010.
- “Operating microscopes: past, present, and future.” Nuerosurgical Focus. 27(3):E4. Uluc K. September 2009.
- “A timely debate about the brain.” Science. 311(5761): 596–598. Bhattacharjee Y. February 3, 2006.
- “Genomics proving a powerful tool for mapping the landscape of the brain.” JAMA. 295(2): 145–148. Kuehn B. January 11, 2006.
- “What is the biological basis of consciousness?” Science. 309(5731): 79. Miller G. July 1, 2005.
- Brain, brain stem, brain pathologies.