Coping With Crises
Developed by the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public.
Public Health Preparedness and Response from the Centers for Disease Control
This site includes helpful information about emergency preparedness and response, covering a broad range of topics including bioterrorism, chemical emergencies and natural disasters.
David Baldwin’s Trauma Information Pages
This award-winning site was created and maintained by a licensed psychologist and trauma specialist. These pages mainly focus on emotional trauma and traumatic stress and includes articles, resources, handouts, links and more.
Center for Biosecurity of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
Developed and maintained by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, this resource contains fact sheets and information for the health consumer designed to build a knowledge base regarding potential bioterrorist attacks.
- Let your body win: stress management plain and simple. Ferguson J. 2010.
- After miscarriage: medical facts and emotional support for pregnancy loss. Danielsson K. 2008.
- Coping with birth trauma and postnatal depression: overcoming common problems. Jolin.L. 2008.
- Compassion and courage in the aftermath of traumatic loss. Bedard K. 2006.
- CrazyBus : overstretched, overbooked, and about to snap: strategies for coping in a world gone ADD. Hallowell EM. 2006.
- This thing called grief: new understandings of loss.Ellis TM. 2006.
- Healing invisible wounds: paths to hope and recovery in a violent world.Mollica RF. 2006.
- Being sick well: joyful living despite chronic illness. Boyd JH. 2005.
- The anxiety & phobia workbook. Bourne EJ. 2005.
- Year of magical thinking. Didion J. 2005.
- Life after loss: conquering grief and finding hope. Moody RA Jr., et al. 2002.
- Stress management: a comprehensive handbook of techniques and strategies.Smith JC. 2002.
- Human side of cancer: living with hope, coping with uncertainty. Holland JC, et al. 2001.
- Coping with chronic illness: overcoming powerlessness. Miller JF. 2000.
- Relaxation and stress reduction workbook. Davis M, et al. 2000.
- Living with grief after sudden loss. Doka KJ. 1996.
- Man’s search for ultimate meaning. Frankl VE. 1997.
- When bad things happen to good people. Kushner H. 1989.
- “Understanding the stress response.” Harvard Mental Health Letter. 27(9):4-5. 2011
- “Coping with loss. A look at grief and the grieving process.” Mayo Clinic Women's Healthsource. 13(12):1-2, Dec. 2009
- “Coping with the stress of caregiving.” Harvard Mental Health Letter. 25(12):6, 2009 Jun.
- “Self-care and stress: A healthy balance.” Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 25(10):4-5, Oct. 2007.
Bereavement Support Group
Northwestern Memorial Hospital's bereavement support is an open group available to anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one. This group meets on the third Tuesday of each month.
To check for available dates and to register, call (312) 926-4664.