Dying, Death and Bereavement
Grief is a reaction to a significant loss. It is most frequently an unhappy and painful emotion triggered by the death of a loved one. These same emotions can also be experienced by someone with a terminal illness who expects to die, or by someone with a chronic condition who must deal with a loss of autonomy. The end of a significant relationship often results in a grieving process as well.
Extensive listing of resources concerned with all aspects of bereavement. This site is developed and maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
American Hospice Foundation
Excellent resources for anyone dealing with dying, death, and bereavement. Includes special resources for helping children and adolescents cope with grief and the impact of grief in schools. Other sections deal with grief in the workplace, cultural approaches to understanding death, and much more.
Mental Health America
Mental Health America (formerly the National Mental Health Association) has fact sheets about dealing with grief and bereavement. Its mission is to improve the mental health of all people.
Compassionate Friends is a national nonprofit, self-help support organization that offers hope to bereaved families. Its mission is to assist families toward the positive resolution of grief following the death of a child and to be supportive.
- Living with grief. Doka K. 2009.
- Other side of sadness. Bonanno G. 2009.
- Swimming in a sea of death : a son’s memoir. Rieff D. 2008
- Final conversations: helping the living and the dying talk to each other. Keeley M. 2007
- The needs of the dying: a guide for bringing hope, comfort and love to life’s final chapter. Kessler D. 2007
- To die well: your right to comfort, calm and choice in the last days of life. Wanzer S. 2007
- Stolen angels: 25 stories of hope after pregnancy or infant loss. Moore S., ed. 2007
- About what was lost: 20 writers on miscarriage, healing, and hope. Gross J., ed. 2007
- This thing called grief: new understandings of loss. Ellis T. 2006
- Always too soon: voices of hope for those who have lost both parents. Gilbert A. 2006
- Chasing daylight: how my forthcoming death transformed my life. O’Kelly E. 2006
- Too soon to say goodbye. Buchwald A. 2006
- Counseling children and adolescents through grief and loss. Fiorini J. 2006
- Facing Death. 4 video set. 78 min.
- Kids to Kids: When Someone Special Dies. 12 min.
- A Mother’s Grief. 30 min