Health career is a broad term encompassing hundreds of occupations in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities. The demand for health professionals of all types is great in the United States, and shortages in many health-career fields are likely to occur in the next ten to twenty years. These shortages will be the result of changing demographics and evolving technology. The total number of 65-year-olds will surpass the number of 18-year-olds by 2016, at the same time as medical technology is constantly improving and lengthening lives.
MedlinePlus: Health Occupations
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for health care consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed trusted health information targeting the lay public.
HRSA Bureau of Health Professions
Follow the links to learn about a variety of career options in health care.
AMA Careers in Health Care
This online directory at the American Medical Association has downloadable documents on many health care careers.
Explore Health Careers
The information for this website is obtained from health associations, educational organizations, universities and colleges, government databases, professional journals, and published articles.
Vocational Career Center
Explore health careers with the links to job descriptions, which include information such as daily activities, skill requirements, salary, and training required for entry-level positions.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
CAAHEP reviews and accredits over 2000 educational programs in twenty-three (23) health science occupations.
- Career opportunities in health care management: perspectives from the field. Buchbinder S. 2010.
- Health care careers directory. American Medical Association. 2009.
- Career in nursing: is it right for me? Katz J. 2007.
- Managing health education and promotion programs: Leadership skills for the 21st century. Johnson JA. 2007.
- Career development for health professionals: Success in school and on the job. Haroun L. 2006.
- Health care job explosion! High growth health careers and job locator. Damp D. 2006
- Encyclopedia of public health. Breslow L, ed. 2002. Available electronically at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health+library+virtual+library. Information about more than two dozen diverse careers in the public health arena is available here.
The Health Learning Center staff is available as mentors for a variety of health-related careers. Northwestern Memorial Hospital partners with area colleges to offer several clinical schools through their NM Academy. Go to http://www.nmh.org/nm/clinical+schools+application+admission for more information.