Heart Healthy Diet
American Heart Association: Nutrition Center
A nutrition Web site by the American Heart Association that includes an interactive guide to eating out, and an extensive recipe database.
Pyramid or Plate? Explore These Healthy Diet Options
Provides multiple healthy options for eating a heart-healthy diet, from the Mediterranean diet to “MyPlate.”
This site provides a comprehensive collection of all federal government recommendations regarding nutrition, including scientific findings and dietary guidelines.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Patient Education
- Heart Healthy Nutrition.
- 100 questions and answers about sports nutrition and exercise. Al-Masri L. 2011.
- American Medical Association guide to preventing and treating heart disease. 2008.
- WomenHeart’s all heart family cookbook. Kastan K. 2008.
- Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook. American Heart Association. 2008.
- Cleveland Clinic healthy heart lifestyle guide and cookbook. Polin B. 2007.
- American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Reducing Sodium and Fat in Your Diet, 2nd ed. 2001.
- Coumadin cookbook: a guide to healthy meals when taking Coumadin.Desmarais R. 2003.
- Gale encyclopedia of diets. “Healthy Heart Diet.” 2008. Available in print at the Health Learning Center or online at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health+library+virtual+library.
- Love in the time of cholesterol: a memoir with recipes. Ross C. 2006.
- “Brain health linked to heart heath. What’s good for your heart may also be good for your brain.” Duke Medicine Health News. 17(4):1–2. April 2011.
- “What’s so great about fiber?” Johns Hopkins Medical Letter, Health after 50. 23(3):1–2, 7. May 2011.
- “Omega-3s stand out in preventing and treating heart disease.” Duke Medicine Health News. 16(2):1–2. February 2010.
- “Decoding the Mediterranean diet. Basic ingredients at heart of healthy eating plan.” Mayo Clinic Women’s Healthsource. 14(2):1–2. February 2010.
- “DASH redux: diet shows reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.” Health News. 14(7):3, 2008 Jul.
- “Diet DASH-es Hypertension.” Johns Hopkins Medical Letter, Health After 50. 18(9):1-2, 7. Anonymous. Nov. 2006.
For your copy of the DASH diet, come to the Alberto Culver Health Learning Center and request a copy at the Service Desk, or visit http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf.
- Heart Healthy Eating. 15 min.