The liver helps fight infections and removes harmful substances from the blood. Hepatitis B is a viral infection that causes damage to the liver. Although there is currently no cure, there are treatments available. People infected with hepatitis B should talk with their doctor about having routine medical evaluations to prevent liver disease.
Hepatitis B Foundation: Cause for a Cure
This informative site offers information on how to take care of yourself and protect your loved ones and includes other helpful topics such as frequently asked questions and support groups.
MedlinePlus: Hepatitis B
Developed by the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public. It includes links to overviews, research and organizations for people with hepatitis B.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse: What I Need to Know About Hepatitis B
This easy-to-read site gives basic information about hepatitis B and is presented in a clear and understandable manner.
National Center for Infectious Diseases: Viral Hepatitis B
The National Center for Infectious Diseases provides facts on hepatitis B, answers to frequently asked questions and educational material on this topic. Frequently used terms associated with hepatitis B are also defined in a helpful glossary located on this site.
- Hepatitis B. Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. 3rd ed. Vol. 3: 1773-1776. Cramer D and Odle T. 2006. Available in print at the Health Learning Center or online at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health+library+virtual+library
- Hepatitis B Vaccine. Gale Encyclopedia of Children's Health: Infancy through Adolescence. Vol. 2: 884-889. Alic M. 2006. Available in print at the Health Learning Center or online at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health+library+virtual+library.
- The First Year – Hepatitis B: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. Green W. 2002.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital Mini-Med School: The Liver. Disc #3 - Hepatitis. 2005.
- Respect Yourself, Protect Yourself: Teens talk to teens about liver wellness. 1998.
- The Liver
Hepatitis Foundation International
504 Blick Drive Silver Spring, MD 20904, 800-891-0707
American Liver Foundation