Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is the force at which the blood flows in the arteries when the heart beats (systolic) and is at rest (diastolic). High blood pressure is called hypertension, and when untreated it can lead to other serious medical conditions. Risk factors for high blood pressure include genetics, environmental factors, diet and sometimes another health condition.
MedlinePlus: High Blood Pressure
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public. The site features a large array of information about the health risks of high blood pressure and how to manage it. Find links to the latest news, nutrition guidelines, treatment and management, as well as an excellent interactive tutorial.
- Hypertension Primer. Izzo J. 2008
- ABC of Hypertension. Beevers DG, ed. 2007.
- How to prevent your stroke. Spence JD. 2006.
- Hypertension. Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, 4th ed. 2011. Available in print at the Health Learning Center or online at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health library virtual library .
- Lower your blood pressure in eight week: a revolutionary new program for a longer, healthier life. Sinatra ST. 2003.
- High Blood Pressure: The Black Man and Woman’s Guide to Living With Hypertension. Hudson R. 2002.
- Mayo Clinic on High Blood Pressure. Sheps S, ed. 2002.
- “Hypertension: the importance of blood pressure awareness, control.” Mayo Clinic Women’s Healthsource. Suppl.:1-8. Mar. 2011
- “Treating hypertension: are two meds better than one?” Harvard Men’s Health Watch. 15(5):5-6. Dec. 2010
- “Blood pressure and your brain.” Harvard Mens Health Watch. 14(3):4-7, Oct. 2009
- “Measuring your blood pressure.” Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 27(9):3, Sep. 2009
- “Checking blood pressure: do try this at home. Home monitoring makes sense if you have high blood pressure.” Harvard Heart Letter, 19(1): 1-2. Sept. 2008.
- Normal and Hypertensive Arteries
- Amounts of Hidden Salt
- High Blood Pressure Compliance. 12 min.
- High Blood Pressure: An Introduction to Treatment, 3rd ed. 16 min.
- How to Monitor Your Blood Pressure. 11 min.
- Of Hearts and Hypertension: Blazing Genetic Trails. 240 min.