Nutrition During Pregnancy
Provides a variety of information that can prepare you for prenatal care, pregnancy, and beyond. The “Nutrition” section has more specific information on nutrition during pregnancy.
March of Dimes: You Are Pregnant
This link at the March of Dimes website has information about nutrition during pregnancy. Other links in the Pregnancy category have additional information for other stages such as planning pregnancy and after delivery.
My Pyramid: Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
When you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you have special nutritional needs. This section of Choosemyplate.gov offers personalized eating plans, interactive tools to help you plan and assess your food choices, and advice to help you make smart choices to get the most nutrition out of your calories and stay within your daily calorie needs.
- I’m Pregnant! Now What Do I Eat? Ricciotti H. 2007.
- The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating During Pregnancy. Walker AW. 2006.
- Before Your Pregnancy. Olge A. 2002.
- Nutrition and Well-Being A to Z. James DCS, ed. 2002, pp. 142-147.
- Nutrition and Pregnancy. Brown JE. 1997
- Pregnancy and Nutrition. The American Dietetic Association. 1998.
- Vegetarian Pregnancy. Yntema S. 1994.
All references below are available electronically at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health+library+virtual+library.
- “Prepregnancy Counseling.” Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Hilton L. 2006. pp. 3028-30. (Also available in print at the Health Learning Center)
- “Prenatal Care.” Gale Encyclopedia of Women’s Health. Frey KA. 2004. pp. 527-30.
Classes and Programs
Prentice Women’s Hospital offers a variety of childbirth education classes, including Great Expectations, Breastfeeding, and Pediatric Care. Please call 312-926-8400 for more information.
- Before Your Pregnancy; 35 minutes