Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the brain characterized by shaking and difficulty with walking, movement, and coordination. The disease is associated with damage to a part of the brain that is involved with movement.
MedlinePlus: Parkinson’s Disease
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for health care consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information targeting the lay public. Site features extensive information about Parkinson’s disease and how to manage it.
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information.
National Parkinson Foundation
NPF supports Parkinson's-related research, patient care, education, training, and outreach. Organization offers many informational resources free of charge.
Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
The Parkinson’s Disease Foundation is a leading national presence in Parkinson’s disease research, education, and public advocacy. They fund promising scientific research and support people with Parkinson’s, their families and caregivers through educational programs and support services.
We Move: Worldwide Education and Awareness for Movement Disorders
This website allows you to chat online or find a support group near you.
- Take Charge of Parkinson’s Disease: Dynamic Lifestyle Changes to Put You in the Driver’s Seat. Mikkelsen, A. 2011
- Ask the doctor about Parkinson’s Disease. Okun M. 2010.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Diagnosis and Clinical Management. Factor S. 2008.
- Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. Jankovic, J. and Tolosa, E. eds. 2007.
- Parkinson’s Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier. Schwarz, S. P. 2006.
- A Life Shaken: My Encounter with Parkinson’s Disease. Havemann, J. 2002.
Journals and Journal Articles
- “Tai chi helps Parkinson’s patients with balance, movement.” Harvard Health Letter. 37(6):3. 2012
- “The bare essentials: Parkinson’s disease” Lees, A. Practical Neurology. 10(4):240-6. Aug. 2010
- “The genetics of Parkinson's syndromes: a critical review.” Hardy J. et al. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development. 19(3):254-65, 2009 Jun.
- “Overview of Parkinson’s Disease.” Lew, M. Pharmacotherapy. 27(12 Pt 2):155S-160S, 2007 Dec.
- Mini-Med School: The Brain.
- Movement Disorders: Parkinson’s and More. 90 min. 2006.
Northwestern Medicine offers a Parkinson’s disease support group for patients and their families on the first Tuesday of each month. This group provides participants with an opportunity to share experiences, meet new people, receive support, and learn more about the disease.
For more information about this group, please contact Diane Breslow, MSW, LCSW at 312-503-4397.