Sexual dysfunction or sexual problems are defined as difficulty during any stage of the sexual act (which includes desire, arousal, orgasm, and resolution) that prevents the individual or couple from enjoying sexual activity.
MedlinePlus: Sexual Health
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for health care consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately-developed trusted health information targeting the lay public. Site has links to other MedlinePlus portals: Sexual Problems in Men, Sexual Problems in Women, Erectile Dysfunction, and other related topics.
Mayo Clinic: Sexual Health Basics
Developed by the Mayo Clinic, this overview on sexual health that has information on women’s health and men’s health, sexually transmitted diseases, and other information.
Sexuality and Cancer
Sexuality and Reproductive Issues
This site from the National Cancer Institute provides frequently updated information on the effects of cancer diagnoses and treatments on sexual function in both men and women.
Sexuality for Women / Men and Their Partners
This site from the American Cancer Society provides a range of information on sexuality after cancer for women. A similar site for men can be found at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MIT/MIT_7_1x_SexualityforMenandTheirPartners.asp.
- Dx/Rx: Sexual dysfunction in men and women. Zaslau S. 2011
- Female sexual pain disorders. Goldstein A. 2009
- Sex and diabetes: for him and for her. Roszler J. 2007
- Still sexy after all these years? The 9 unspoken truths about women’s desire beyond 50. Kliger L. 2006
- Women’s sexual function and dysfunction : study, diagnosis, and treatment. Goldstein I. 2006
- “Male sexual dysfunction.” Primary Care; Clinics in Office Practice. 37(3):473-89, vii-viii, 2010 Sept.
- “Yoga may help improve women’s sexual function.” Harvard Women’s Health Watch. 17(8):7. Apr. 2010
- “Sexuality and seniority.” Harvard Men’s Health Watch. 13(10):1-4, 2009 May
- “Viagra, sex, and antidepressants.” Johns Hopkins Medical Letter, Health after 50. 21(1):7, Mar. 2009
- “Dealing with sexual side effects: Options for people with depression and other psychiatric disorders.” Harvard Mental Health Letter. 24(11):6, 2008 May.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Sexual Health Clinic
To schedule an appointment, call 312-926-WELL (9355)