American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: Patient Education Library
Explore this comprehensive site to learn about a variety of orthopaedic topics. It includes a special section on patient safety.
MedlinePlus: Back Pain
Developed by the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public. It includes information on how to make a decision on whether to have surgery.
National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke: Back Pain
This site provides excellent information from the National Institutes of Health, including contact information for helpful organizations.
North American Spine Society
This site offers information on all aspects of spine disorders, treatments and risk reduction for back problems.
- I’ve Got Your Back: The Truth About Back Surgery, Straight From A Surgeon. Tindel, N. 2007.
- Stabbed in the back: confronting back pain in an overtreated society. Hadler N. 2009
- Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery. Senagore AJ, ed. 2004. Available in print at the Health Learning Center or electronically at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health library virtual library .
- The Total Back Book. Sutcliffe J. 2002.
- “Herniated disk: conservative care often effective.” Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 28(2):1-3. Feb. 2010
- “Degenerative disk disease: a real pain in the back.” Mayo Clinic Women’s Healthsource. 11(6):4-5. Jun. 2007
- “Pain management in a patient with intractable spinal cord injury pain: a case report and literature review.” Que, J. C., Siddall, P. J., and Cousins, M. J. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 105(5):1462-73, 2007 Nov.
- “The problems and limitations of applying evidence-based medicine to primary surgical treatment of adult spinal deformity.” Bridwell, K.H. et al. Spine. 32(19 Suppl):S135-9, 2007 Sep 1.
- “Systematic review of randomized trials comparing lumbar fusion surgery to nonoperative care for treatment of chronic back pain.” Mirza, S. K., Deyo, R. A. Spine. 32(7):816-23, 2007 Apr 1.
Check with staff at any of Northwestern Memorial Hospital’s Health Learning Centers to obtain the most current, evidence-based journal literature available.
- Back Talk: Risk Reduction and Treatment Options. NMH Mini-Med School: Bones, Joints & Muscles. 2008
- Back Pain: A Complete Workout for Better Living. 1996
- Back Pain: Lower Back. 1996
- It’s Your Back. 1992
- Low Back Pain. 1990
Various segments of the spinal column, including a model of a herniated disk.