Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually transmitted diseases are contagious diseases that can be transferred to another person through sexual intercourse or other sexual contact. According to the American Social Health Association, approximately 19 million new cases of STDs occur each year in the United States. More than half of these cases will occur among youth ages 15-24 years. Some STDs are curable, but others are not. Safe sexual practices are the most important method for reducing the risk of infection with all sexually transmitted diseases.
MedlinePlus: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Developed at the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information for the lay public.
National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
The Division of STD Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides national leadership through research, policy development, and support of effective services to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and their complications.
American Social Health Association
The nonprofit American Social Health Association is a trusted source of information about all types of sexually transmitted diseases. The site includes sections for parents on how to talk with their children about STDs. Also included is a section regarding partner notification.
- Damaged goods? : women living with incurable sexually transmitted diseases. Nack A. 2008
- Seductive delusions: how everyday people catch STDs. Grimes J. 2008
- Sexually transmitted diseases, 4th ed. Holmes KK, ed. 2008
- Behavioral interventions for prevention and control of sexually transmitted diseases. Aral SO. 2007
- Berek & Novak’s gynecology, 14th ed. Bered JS, ed. 2007
- Current diagnosis & treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. Klausner J. & Hook E. 2007
- Encyclopedia of sexually transmitted diseases. Moore E. 2005
- Sexually transmitted diseases. Klesnikow T. 2004 Available in print at the Health Learning Center or electronically at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health library virtual library
- Everything you never wanted your kids to know about sex (but were afraid they’d ask). Richardson J. 2003
- Color atlas and synopsis of sexually transmitted diseases, 2nd ed. Handsfield H. H. 2001
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 13 min. 2006
The organizations listed in Internet Resources provide support, education and advocacy.