Type 2 Diabetes (Diabetes Mellitus)
American Diabetes Association
The American Diabetes Association is the nation’s leading not-for-profit healthorganization providing diabetes research, information and advocacy. Founded in 1940, the association conducts programs in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, reaching more than 800 communities.
Developed by the National Library of Medicine specifically for consumers, this site is a portal for both government-sponsored and privately developed health information targeting the lay public.
- American Diabetes Association Complete Guide to Diabetes. 2006.
The following references are available in print in the Health Learning Center or electronically at http://www.nmh.org/nm/health library virtual library
- Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior. Anderson NB, ed. 2004.
- Gale Encyclopedia of Children’s Health: Infancy through Adolescence. Krapp K., ed. 2006.
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Longe JL, ed. 2006.
- Diabetes Rising: how a rare disease became a modern pandemic. Hurley D. 2010.
- Diabetic Athlete’s Handbook. Colberg S. 2009.
- Diabetes Demystified. Masharani U. 2008.
- Every Woman’s Guide to Diabetes: What You Need to Know to Lower Your Risk and Beat the Odds. Eisenstat SA. 2007.
- 10 Steps to Better Living with Diabetes.Kanzer-Lewis G. 2007.
- 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes. Colberg R & Edelman S. 2007
- Action Plan for Diabetes. Barnes DE. 2004.
- Cheating Destiny: Living with Diabetes, America’s Biggest Epidemic. Hirsch JS. 2006.
- PCOS Protection Plan: How to Cut Your Increased Risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease, Obesity, and High Blood Pressure. Harris C. 2006.
- All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook: The Whole Food Approach to Great Taste and Healthy Eating. Newgent J. 2007
- Mix ’n match meals in minutes for people with diabetes. Gassenheimer L. 2007
- Diabetes Menu Cookbook: Delicious Special-occasion Recipes. Scott-Goodman B. 2007
- Complete Quick & Hearty Diabetic Cookbook: More than 200 Fast, Low-Fat Recipe with Old-Fashioned Good Taste. American Diabetes Association. 2007
- The Diabetes Snack, Munch, Nibble, Nosh Book. Glick R. 2006
- American Dietetic Association Guide to Eating Right When you Have Diabetes.Powers M. 2003
- Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook: Everyday Meals, Easy as 1-2-3. 2003
- “Diabetes drug safety update.” Johns Hopkins Medical Letter, Health after 50. 22(4):1-2,7. May 2010
- “Diabetes resources: navigating pregnancy.” Phillips Q. Diabetes Self-Management. 27(2):47-8. Mar.-Apr. 2010
- “Inside diabetes.” Gebel E. Diabetes Forecast. 63(4):36-7. Apr. 2010.
- “Exercise prescription for diabetes.” Harvard Heart Letter. 20(3):2. Nov. 2009.
- “Type 2 diabetes. Are we closer to knowing "why"?” Diabetes Self-Management. Clark W. 25(4):65-6, 68, 2008 Jul-Aug.
- “Role of Obesity in Complicating and Confusing the Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetes in Children.” Pediatrics. 121(2):361-8. Jones KL. February 2008.
- “Diabetes and Depression: A Twin Threat to Women’s Hearts.” Diabetes Forecast. 60(6):59–60. Wagner JA. May 2007.
- “Diabetes Basics: Getting a Routine Checkup.” Diabetes Self-Management. 24(1):52ff. January–February 2007.
- Basic Skills for Controlling Diabetes. 10 minutes.
- Diabetes and Heart Disease. 10 minutes.
- Diabetes and Nutrition. 10 minutes.
- Injecting Insulin. 15 minutes.
- Introduction to Carbohydrate Counting. 13 minutes.
- Monitoring Your Blood Sugar. 30 minutes.
- What is Type 2 Diabetes? 15 minutes.
Nota: Tenemos videos en español.
Models and Charts
- Understanding Diabetes (Chart)
- Pancreas Model
The mission of the American Diabetes Association is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. Between 8:30 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. Eastern time, you can call the American Diabetes Association at 1.800.DIABETES (1-800-342-2383.) You can also e-mail at AskADA@diabetes.org. Be sure to include your name and address for fastest service.