Northwestern Memorial Hospital offers one of the premier kidney transplantation programs in the country. In 2011, the Kovler Organ Transplantation Center at Northwestern Memorial performed 263 kidney transplants, making it the largest and most successful transplant program in Illinois and one of the largest in the US. Additionally, we have the largest living donor kidney transplant programs in the country, and performed 154 such transplants in 2011.
Why Northwestern Memorial
Our kidney transplantation team is made up of dedicated transplant nephrologists, surgeons, transplantation specialists, cardiologists, infectious disease specialists, psychiatrists, pharmacists, nurses, dietitians, social workers and financial counselors.
Benefits of our Comprehensive Kidney Transplant Program
- One of only a handful of centers in the country that offers ABO-incompatible transplantation
- One of three transplant centers in the country investigating new therapies to help wean transplant recipients off immunosuppressant drugs
- A leader in kidney paired donation, a possible solution for donor and recipient pairs who are not compatible with each other
- One of the world’s most experienced centers for steroid-free kidney transplantation
- One of the nation’s leading centers for laparoscopic kidney procedures
- Satellite outreach clinics providing transplant evaluation services closer to home
- Hispanic Transplant Program offering a culturally sensitive approach to patient care
- Innovative methods to get patients home sooner
- Integration with the pancreas and islet transplant programs for combined transplants for renal disease and type 1 diabetes patients
In addition to the downtown campus, we are available to see patients at any one of four Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation transplant outreach clinics, in Oak Brook, Glenview and Joliet, Illinois, and Portage, Indiana. Our focus on community outreach benefits patients and their physicians by providing pre-kidney transplant services closer to home. Learn more . . .
For more information about our Kidney Transplantation program, please call 312-695-0828.
Kovler Organ Transplantation Center
Arkes Family Pavilion
676 N. Saint Clair Street
Floor 19, Suite 1900
Chicago, IL 60611
Tune in to Health
Listen to our physicians discuss the latest advances in organ transplantation.