Inpatient & Outpatient Care
Most medical oncology and hematology inpatients are treated on specially designed and equipped floors in Prentice. Patients with cancer benefit from special amenities designed to respond to their medical needs and provide comfort. Patients have access to services that help improve and maintain strength and endurance during cancer treatment and a care environment built with materials and systems that reduce the risk of infection for those with compromised immune systems.
While in the hospital, patients with cancer are provided with cancer rehabilitation services including individual and group physical and occupational therapy sessions through the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, which is on the medical campus. Additionally, integrative medicine services, such as massage therapy and acupuncture, are available through the Center for Integrative Medicine and Wellness.
Women with cancer can benefit from the Maggie Daley Center for Women’s Cancer Care, a two-floor center that offers a unique integrative, holistic approach addressing emotional, aesthetic and physical needs during cancer treatment.
There are 108 inpatient hematology/oncology/gyneoncology beds that are located on the top three floors of Prentice Women's Hospital. We designed each room to meet the unique needs of cancer patients. Special features include:
- All private rooms with sleeping accommodations for a family member
- On-demand room service from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Internet service and patient education that can be accessed through the flat screen plasma TV
- Spectacular views of Lake Michigan or the city
- Special air flow systems to reduce the risk of infection
- Special inpatient pharmacy for cancer patients on the inpatient floor
- Gilda's Club programming for patients and their families
In addition, we offer special programs and services that support a cancer patients' medical needs and comfort, such as:
- Provides exercise equipment to maintain and improve strength and endurance during inpatient treatment
- Provides recreation space offering support programs, education, entertainment and therapy on the inpatient unit
- Cancer treatments can affect teeth, gums, salivary glands and other oral tissues. This service is available for patients in the hospital and outpatient services to help manage the side effects of cancer treatment in their mouths.
Physicians provide outpatient care in their practice offices, including infusion therapy. We also maximize coordination of overall care for each patient through weekly multidisciplinary management conferences for each major cancer type.
If you or a loved one suspects you have cancer or you've been diagnosed with cancer or a blood disorder and you would like to schedule an appointment for the first time, call the Physician Referral Department at 1-877-926-4664 or request a first time appointment online.
You may also see a list of our physicians, including their contact information: