Although there is no cure for osteoporosis, the following medications are approved by the FDA for postmenopausal women to either prevent and/or treat osteoporosis:
- Estrogens (brand names such as Premarin, Ogen, Estrace, Estraderm and Estratab, Prempro, and others)
- *Alendronate (brand name Fosamax) is also approved as a treatment for men
- Calcitonin (brand name Miacalcin)
- Raloxifene (brand name Evista)
- **Risedronate (brand name Actonel)
*Alendronate is approved for treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in men and women.
**Risedronate is approved for prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in men and women.
Treatments under investigation include:
- sodium fluoride vitamin D metabolites
- parathyroid hormone
- other bisphosphonates and SERMs