Preoperative Information for Patients
Making an Appointment
Please follow the appointment instructions given to you by your surgeon's office with regards to scheduling a preoperative evaluation.
Call 312-926-4566 (outpatient scheduling) to schedule an appointment with the NMH Preoperative Clinic. When you call the clinic, please have your Order Form available.
Please request an appointment date that is four to 21 days before your scheduled surgery.
When you call, you will be informed whether you will need an appointment at the clinic or a phone appointment with a nurse, depending on your medical history and the surgery or procedure you will have.
What to Bring to Your Clinic Visit
Bring the following information to your appointment at the NMH Preoperative Clinic:
- The NMH Preoperative Clinic Order Form given to you from your surgeon's office
- Your current medical insurance card
- Medicare card (Medicare patients only)
- A photo ID
- Your complete, up-to-date list of all current medications, herbals and over-the-counter medicines (or all your medication bottles) with the following information
- Medication dose
- How often you are taking the medication
- The reason you are taking the medication
These are forms you will need for the preoperative evaluation process:
- Please complete the . Your surgeon will fax this form to the NMH Preoperative Clinic prior to your visit there so that the clinic will have your medical history
- Your surgeon will complete the and fax it to the NMH Preoperative Clinic. This will let the clinic know what tests you will need and will need and what level of evaluation you will need.
Preparing for your Appointment at the NMH Preoperative Clinic
You may eat, drink and take your medications according to your normal schedule before a preoperative exam or test unless advised otherwise by your surgeon. Your visit at the NMH Preoperative Clinic will last approximately 60 minutes. However, should you need tests and other studies, your visit may last up to 90 minutes.
On the day of your visit you will receive detailed information on how to prepare for surgery and what to expet from your experience. We will explain what to expect the day prior to surgery and the morning of your surgery or procedure.
Preparing for the Day of Surgery
Please see thefor detailed instructions on how to prepare for surgery or a procedure at NMH. In addition, your physician may provide you with specific instructions with regards to special preparation for your surgery or procedure.